Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Daddy G.

Where do I start...

I haven't been able to post in a while. I just couldn't. Usually I'm talking about yummy food or spending time with friends and family or places we've traveled. Not today.

So much has changed so quickly and life will never be the same. It's been one month since my father-in-law, Ken, aka Daddy G., passed away.

Really? He's gone? Really? He died? Like, he's never coming back? I still can not wrap my mind around the finality of this reality. Why did he die? What purpose did this serve? Why did this happen to a great man, who loved the Lord with all his heart, all his soul and all his mind? He would have been so angry if he knew he was going to die. He loved his family so much words can not describe. He treasured his friends and always wanted to "hang out," even if he had just met you. He loved people.

How can a single second change so many people's lives? I will never understand why God chose his time on earth to end so abruptly. Before, I couldn't truly comprehend the depth of the phrase, "I'm sorry for your loss." Unfortunately now I do. That is all you can really say in this season of grief. Loosing Daddy G. is such a loss. A loss for family, a loss for friends, a loss for the people he was going to meet, a loss for society. It doesn't make sense.

He was a wonderful man. A wonderful husband to my mother-in-law, a wonderful father to his kids, a wonderful grandfather and a wonderful friend. I feel robbed that I only had 4 years with him as my Daddy G. (I added the extra year because he told me to call him Dad the night we got engaged). The pain I feel is only the tip of the iceberg in comparison to what Joey, his sisters and mom are experiencing. I don't believe the pain will ever go away completely. All I can ask for is prayer for the family. That everyone would experience a "peace that transcends all understanding that guards our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" because we will never understand.

One of the last emails Daddy G. sent to his family was about doing life together. The end read; "I love you all so much, and I'm so excited to see what God will continue to do through you as you follow Him, love Him, and love those he puts in our paths. God bless you all!!!"

The email was him. He loved God, loved his family and loved others (I sound like a broken record but it's the truth). I feel so honored to have had Ken as my father-in-law, my Daddy G. And I will greatly miss him.


1 comment:

  1. Kim!
    I am so sorry to learn of you and Joey's loss. I am also thankful with you that he did provide an example being a dedicated father and husband. Like you know, there are no words that will suddenly make it okay. But just know that you guys have been in my thoughts & prayers.

    P.S. I'm glad I found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete